Monday, July 13, 2009

The best edition of "Snow-White and the Seven Dwarfs"...


The artwork is simply enchanting, and the text is a beautiful translation of the original tale by the Brothers Grimm.

Beside the magnificent illustrations, there are so many little things I love about this translation by Randall Jarrell.

For one, there's the part where the bite of apple is stuck in Snow-White's throat, and her coffin is jolted while the dwarves carry it; the piece of apple flies out of her mouth...and she wakes up.

And then there's the amazing exchange between SW and the king's son that takes place once she's awake.

"'Oh, heavens, where am I?' cried she. The king's son, full of joy, said: 'You're with me,'..."

And, of course, there's the delightfully creepy conclusion: "...they...put iron slippers over a fire of coals, and they brought them in with tongs and set them before her [the wicked Queen]. Then she had to put on the red-hot slippers and dance till she dropped down dead." AND EVERYBODY ELSE LIVED HAPPILY EVER AFTER!!! :-) There's even a great illustration to go with the slippers bit.

Anyway...go find a copy for yourself! It's a must-read.

Cited in this post: Snow-White and the Seven Dwarfs. By Jacob and Wilhelm K. Grimm. Translated by Randall Jarrell. Sunburst Books: 1987.

3 comments:

  1. OhOhOh! I must read it! I love love love the brother's Grimm. mmhmmm.. Joygasm!

    My mom has my grandmother's copy... You can see her favorite stories because the pages are worn down.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The cover art looks so romantical!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Chloe - Brother's Grimm are my fave.

    Becky Lynn - I absolutely agree! Thanks for visiting my blog :)

    ReplyDelete