Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Five things I've seen so far this year that made me really happy

Listening to: "This Is My House, This Is My Home" by We Were Promised Jetpacks

1. Black Narcissus (1947)



I remember that I was walking through my grandmother's room, and she just happened to be watching this film. I came in during a low-key point in the movie; not alot of "action", per se, was happening. Nonetheless, I was entirely sucked in. The colors and sets were so rich; the interactions between characters so subtle and compelling. It's really not the kind of film that can be acknowledged and dismissed with just a glance at the screen. I'm actually planning a little reflective post on Black Narcissus all by itself - stay tuned!

2. 3-Iron (2004).



This film is, quite simply, a work of art. It's incredibly unusual, unusually haunting, and, incidentally, really quite dark. (I've read some reviews in which viewers commented that they loved the film's light, airy tone...I'm not sure which movie they were watching). Nonetheless, it's absolutely gorgeous. Silence reigns during most of it - of our two protagonists, the heroine speaks a few words close to the end; the hero does not open his mouth once during the course of the entire film.

3. Diva (1982)



I watched it on my mom's recommendation, and boy, am I glad that I did! What an interesting jumble of twists and turns, what a delightfully motley cast of characters; what, what gorgeous music.

4. Once (2006)



Over the past few years, I'd heard so many mediocre reviews of the movie that I more or less decided that I would never bother see it. A friend had given me a copy of the soundtrack, which is incredible - but according to so many people, the film itself falls short in comparison. Hey - I, for one, absolutely loved the movie. I mean, it's obviously not supposed to be super-exciting; its charm lies in its simplicity. I loved the idea of two young songwriters encountering one another, and influencing each other for a short time before going their separate ways.

5. Fantastic Mr. Fox (2009)



I just watched this with my little brother the other night. How refreshing it is to see an animated film made using "by hand" animation - as opposed to all of the computer-generated features produced today (not to put those down; I adore Disney/Pixar)! Plus, I thought it was funny as anything. "What the cuss??" :D

2 comments:

  1. eeek! I loved once and mr. fox :) I'm going to have to check out the others. you've got such great taste Livi!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh hi, and thank you, friend-who-introduced-me-to-Once! I'm happy to be able to return the compliment ;D

    ReplyDelete