Saturday, June 6, 2009

Emily Dickinson on Love and Responsibility

I found this in a collection of her work. One of my favorite poets is reminding me of one of my favorite popes!

Forbidden fruit a flavor has
That lawful orchards mocks;
How luscious lies the pea within
The pod that Duty locks!

Splendid and Delicious, indeed.

Here's what I like best about this short-and-sweet verse: Dickinson brings in the simple truth that "lawful" fruit is far more alluring and difficult to attain than any forbidden fruit. The "pod" can only be "unlocked" by the fulfillment of responsibility.

John Paul II would approve.

2 comments:

  1. And I just read Kant who said pretty much the exact opposite, and no one makes morality seem more boring that the great moralist Kant. ugh.... philosophers =P

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha!! Just goes to show that the poets are sometimes the greatest philosophers :)

    ReplyDelete